Web site of the United Nations Information Centre in Manila
UN System-Wide Press Releases
Application open for Reham Al-Farra Journalism Fellowship
Manila, 21 March 2019 — The Department of Global Communications (DGC) is accepting applications for the 2019 Reham Al-Farra (RAF) Memorial Journalism Fellowship, which will be held at UN Headquarters in New York from 15 September to 5 October 2019.
The Fellowship will bring a select group of young journalists from around the world to United Nations Headquarters to cover the General Assembly, interview senior officials, and attend special briefings and workshops.
The Fellowship is open to full-time journalists between the ages of 22 and 35 from countries with developing and transitioning economies. A full list of eligible countries is available at https://outreach.un.org/raf/eligibility.
The Fellowship covers the cost of roundtrip air travel to New York and provides a daily subsistence allowance.
This Fellowship commemorates the memory of Reham Al-Farra (photo above), a Jordanian diplomat and journalist who was murdered in the Canal Hotel bombing in 2003. Only 29 years old when killed, she served as a Minister of Public Information and for the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.
On Monday, 18 March, the Secretary-General’s report on “Special Measures for the Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse: Implementing a Zero-Tolerance Policy” was issued in New York.
The report contains information on and a series of charts that outline the nature of allegations reported for UN peace operations, for UN entities other than peace operations, implementing partners, and for non-UN forces operating under a Security Council mandate.
In his report, the Secretary-General updates the General Assembly on the efforts that the UN system has undertaken in 2018 to address this scourge, including highlighting the victim-centered approach.
Please find below the Report highlights.
Highlights of the Report:
Overview of 2018 Data on Allegations
In 2018, there were 148 allegations system-wide and 111 for non-UN related entities. The total in 2017 and 2016, respectively was 138 and 165 allegations.
Peacekeeping and Special Political Missions
The number of cases of sexual exploitation and abuse reported for peacekeeping has decreased, with 54 allegations reported in 2018, compared with 62 and 104 reported in 2017 and 2016, respectively. The majority (74 per cent) of the allegations received in 2018 are from the peacekeeping missions in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA) and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO), with the remaining 26 per cent associated with the operations in Mali (MINUSMA), Haiti (MINUSTAH), Liberia (UNMIL), and South Sudan (UNMISS).
The allegations reported for peacekeeping missions were associated with 94 victims, of whom 83% cent were adults and 17% were children. Alleged perpetrators included 64 military, 14 police and 14 civilian personnel. Of the allegations reported in 2018, 20 (37% involved sexual abuse and 34 (63%) sexual exploitation of an adult
There were no allegations reported for special political missions in 2018.
Other United Nations system entities and their implementing partners
In 2018, 94 allegations against UN personnel in entities other than peacekeeping were reported.
Reports of allegations related to personnel of implementing partners has increased to 109 in 2018, from 25 in 2017, suggesting that awareness-raising and outreach efforts are having an impact and that there is increased trust among victims and witnesses and increased understanding of the need to report.
Non-United Nations forces authorized by a Security Council mandate
2 allegations were reported for such forces in 2018. There was 1 allegation in 2017 and 20 in 2016.