New UN Publications: January – February 2018

Turning promises into action: Gender equality in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
The report demonstrates through concrete evidence and data the pervasive nature of discrimination against all women and girls everywhere, and puts forth actionable recommendations on how to fulfill the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.

Bibliographic info:
Publisher: UN Women
ISBN: 978-1-63214-108-8
pp.337

 

 

Countdown to 2030: Tracking progress towards universal coverage for women’s, children’s and adolescents’ health.
This is the first Countdown report in the context of the 2030 agenda for sustainable development and the Every Woman Every Child Global Strategy for Women’s, Children’s and Adolescent’s Health (2016–2030). It synthesizes data on the current situation and trends in reproductive, maternal, newborn and child health and nutrition from a wide array of sources, including the profiles on the 81 Countdown priority countries, which together account for 95% of maternal deaths and 90% of deaths among children under age 5. The 2017 report begins with a summary of results from the 81 country profiles and other data sources, and closes with two-page country profiles for each of the 81 countries. It takes a critical look at how far Countdown countries are from universal coverage for reproductive, maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health and nutrition and highlights possible solutions for addressing gaps.

Bibliographic info:
Publisher: UNICEF
ISBN: 978-92-806-4921-5
pp. 93

 

More than numbers – How migration data can deliver real-life benefits for migrants and governments.
Around 258 million people are currently estimated to be residing outside their country of birth. This has policy implications across a myriad of dimensions and needs a well-managed migration data and evidence. Too often, data is seen as, the abstract business of technical experts operating in backrooms. The report urges governments to put data at the centre of the debate on migration using a value-driven approach. It illustrates how a strategic focus on and investment in quality data can maximize the value of migration and address its current challenges. It also describes the value at stake across various dimensions of migration and provides guidance on where investments in data should be directed to deliver the most impactful outcomes. This report is intended to support decision makers in capturing concrete economic, social and humanitarian benefits in line with targets they choose to prioritize – by leveraging the data that matters.

Bibliographic info:
Publisher: IOM
ISBN: 978-92-9068-757-3
pp.119

 

 

Essays from the edge of humanitarian innovation: Year in Review 2017.
In the humanitarian and innovation communities, the collective sense of urgency reached new heights this year. Never before has innovation been so important in light of growing needs and fewer resources. This year in review would be focused on data, storytelling, listening, predicting, and monitoring. We’ve highlighted these themes through stories from the field, stories from refugees, stories on failure, stories on where we’ve been and a look at where we’re going. From research to organisational change, and experiments, take a look back at what UNHCR’s Innovation Service was up to in 2017.

Bibliographic info:
Publisher: UNHCR
pp. 127

 

 

Selected Sustainable Development Trends in the Least Developed Countries 2018.
This document is a contribution to the United Nations system’s efforts to follow up and monitor the implementation of Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development. The document presents a brief assessment of recent economic trends and progress towards selected Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) targets and indicators in the LDCs highlighting some of LDCs’ key development challenges, which stem from their own domestic conditions, but also from the specific terms of their interdependence within the global economy.

Bibliographic info:
Publisher: UNCTAD
pp. 22

 

 

Migration Flows to Europe – 2017 Overview.
More than 186,000 migrants arrived to Europe in 2017 via Mediterranean routes. Approximately 92% of migrants reached European countries by sea (172,362), and the remaining 8% arrived using various land routes. This year Italy has received the majority of all migrants and asylum seekers, with the total of 119,369 accounting for 64% of the overall registered population. However, this is the lowest number of arrivals reported in the past four years in Italy.

Bibliographic info:
Publisher: IOM
pp.13