What is TOGETHER?
TOGETHER is a global initiative that aims to change negative perceptions and attitudes towards refugees and migrants, and to strengthen the social contract between host countries and communities, and refugees and migrants. The core values of the United Nations and the determination to “leave no one behind” which is at the heart of the Development agenda are at the centre of TOGETHER.
All 193 Member States of the United Nations unanimously welcomed the TOGETHER initiative and committed to implementing it, when they met at the Summit for Refugees and Migrants on 19 September 2016. TOGETHER will run until the second half of 2018, when Member States are expected to adopt two Global Compacts on Refugees and Migrants.
Who is involved?
TOGETHER is a UN System-wide initiative led by the Secretary-General, which will be implemented in partnership with Member States, the private sector and civil society.
Who is the audience?
TOGETHER will speak to communities hosting refugees and migrants as well as people concerned that refugees and migrants may bring physical and economic insecurity to their lives. TOGETHER will engage and mobilize global citizens to show support for refugees and migrants.
What will TOGETHER do? TOGETHER will:
- Create a coalition of UN agencies, Member States, the private sector and civil society, acting under the same banner, committed to addressing the problem of rising xenophobia.
- Promote global action in support of non-discrimination and acceptance of refugees and migrants.
- Create a strong persuasive narrative of solidarity, that will showcase the shared benefits of migration to economies and nations, while also acknowledging legitimate concerns of host communities.
- Build empathy and humanize the debate. It will provide a platform for stories about and by migrants and refugees and of host communities that have benefitted from the inclusion of refugees and migrants. It will tell stories of children on the move.
How will TOGETHER do this? Our website together.un.org will be the interactive hub for finding out information and joining the initiative. It will:
- Enable partner organizations (civil society, private sector, UN system, Member States, academia) to get involved and establish their own TOGETHER activities;
- Provide a repository of best practices, products and outreach tools to adapt to local contexts;
- Engage and encourage the general public to get involved – for example by petitioning for refugees at #withrefugees, by sharing a personal story of migration with @iamamigrant, by producing short films for the Plural+ youth film festival, by taking a stand for rights #standup4humanrights;
- Present official facts and figures about flows of refugees and migrants; explain the benefits of managed flows and of shared responsibility.
- UN network of field offices will lead partnerships for action at the community level, fostering contacts between host communities, and refugees and migrants.
- UN Messengers of Peace and Goodwill Ambassadors will engage the global public and promote the aims of the campaign.
- We will harness the creative community and technology partners to support Innovative products and outreach tools to reach more effectively the target audience.